What does Mouser use my data for?
Purchase processing and provision of online, local and personalised services:
- The provision, personalisation and needs-based design of our services, including websites, apps and cross-device and cross-platform functions.
- The execution of purchase agreements and customer service, including payment processing, claim management as well as the processing of returns, complaints and warranty claims.
- Non-promotional communication with you on technical, security-related and contractually relevant subjects (e.g. fraud warnings, account blocking or product recall).
- The execution of campaigns, competitions and/or newsletters.
- The sharing of transactional information with third parties for the purpose of compliance.
The execution of a contract agreed with you, the provision of a service requested by you, or the sharing of transactional information with manufacturers to facilitate compliance, the legal basis is Article 6 (1) b GDPR and Article 6 (1) e GDPR.
Improving the shopping experience:
Mouser uses data to enhance the shopping experience. Mouser’s ecommerce site encompasses millions of products and hundreds of brands. It is necessary to present content and offers in a needs-based manner so that you can find products in which you have an interest or engineering need.
The legal basis for the processing of your data within the framework of on-site optimisation is Article 6 (1) f GDPR, whereby our legitimate interests are in the above purposes.
Prevention of fraud:
Mouser uses collected data to verify identity and secure against fraud and protect against potential security issues. This applies both to ordering and to registering for a customer account. Mouser uses encryption and security technologies to protect our network and data. Mouser also uses technical and organisational measures to secure our systems against loss, destruction, unauthorised access or distribution of customer data by unauthorised persons. Protection of personal data is our top priority.
Mouser uses technical and manual procedures for fraud prevention in order to protect our users from misuse of data, especially from fraudulent orders.
Mouser may process your data to prevent fraud - Article 6 (1) b GDPR. Data may also be processed based on legitimate interests - Article 6 (1) f GDPR.
Mouser uses data provided and creditworthiness data from external credit agencies, in the form of score values, to establish a credit line. Score values are statistically justified estimates of the future risk of a person defaulting, represented as a numerical value.
Depending on the result of the credit check, i.e. whether it is positive or negative, we will show you appropriate payment methods that you can use to continue and complete your purchase.
The legal basis for the credit check described above is Article 6 (1) b GDPR, because it is necessary for the execution of necessary pre-contractual measures. This processing is based on our legitimate interest (Article 6 (1) f GDPR) and that of other users in the avoidance of payment defaults, the identification and prevention of fraud and the clarification of criminal offences.
Advertising and market research, data analysis:
Mouser uses your data, also within the framework of data analysis, for advertising and market research, in particular for the following purposes:
- Classification into various target and user groups within the framework of market research (user segmentation).
- Findings on various target groups and their respective usage habits and shopping interests.
- The production of findings on demography, interests, our users’ shopping and usage habits as well as the marketing based on these findings within the framework of advertising services provided to third parties.
- The early identification of trends in the areas of technology and online shopping.
- The execution of advertising to existing customers.
- The execution of direct marketing, e.g. in the form of newsletters.
- The planning, execution and success monitoring of advertising corresponding to the interests of target groups.
- Findings as to how our services are used (usage analysis).
If data processing for the above purposes occurs with your consent, the legal basis is Article 6 (1) a GDPR (consent) and legitimate interest (Article 6 (1) f GDPR).
Product and technology development:
Mouser uses your data for product and technology development, including the development and improvement of personalised services. In doing this, we use aggregated, pseudonymised or anonymised data and machine learning algorithms for the analysis in the interests of our users. Data is processed in relation to product and technology development particularly for the following purposes:
- The development and improvement of personalised services and technologies for data analysis, advertising and more relevant product searching.
- The development of technologies and concepts to improve IT security, prevent fraud and improve data protection e.g. by using pseudonymisation, encryption and anonymisation technologies.
The legal basis for the processing of your data for product and technology development purposes is Article 6 (1) f GDPR, whereby our legitimate interests are in the above purposes.
Business management and business optimisation:
Mouser transmits and processes data necessary for administrative and logistical processes.
Data processing for business management and business optimisation also allows us to improve customer service, manage fraud and security. At no time does Mouser sell customer information.
Mouser may disclose transactional information from our “point of sale” (“POS”) system(s) (also known as “POS information”) to the manufacturer for market research, payment of commission to the manufacturer’s sales force, or to facilitate compliance. POS information might also be used by us, TTI, Inc., the manufacturer, or the manufacturer’s representatives to provide the user with important information, to contact the user about potential design activity, or to facilitate compliance.
The legal basis for the processing of your data for business management and optimisation is Article 6 (1) f GDPR, whereby our legitimate interests are in the above purposes. Where we process your data based on legal specifications, e.g. retention obligations and money laundering tests under tax law, the legal basis is Article 6 (1) c GDPR.
On the basis of your consent:
If you have given Mouser consent for the processing of personal data, your consent is the primary basis of our data processing. Typical purposes include:
- Subscription to a newsletter
- Participation in surveys and market research studies
- Customer Service Support documentation
- The execution of a credit check (if it is not necessary for contractual fulfilment)